The Phonics Quiz
Do You Know....?
Most phonics programs include the basic sounds and one or two alternate sounds for some letters. Some of the following elements are largely omitted from nearly every phonics course. You may know some of them, but there may be some whose existence you never even suspected.
1. What are the nine sounds of A?
2. What are the six sounds of E?
3. What are the five sounds of I?
4.What are the five sounds of O?
5. What are the five sounds of U?
6. What rule determines when C will copy the sound of S, and when it will copy the sound of K? This important rule affects about 250,000 words.
This is just a sample of what will be easily learned by a student as they progress through the course.
After considering all these sounds, some will say, "I learned to read without knowing all those rules and things, and so did a lot of other people. Why should we be concerned with them?" The answer is that the students who didn't learn to read well will never learn to read well without knowing these things.
Learn how Academic Associates can help your student become a better reader. Contact us for free reading assessment.
Academic Associates Reading Clinic